Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jackass!

I am back from the workshop for increased mental ability. Now I can recollect my name instantly. Seriously!

With improved memory, I ventured in to something that I have never done here in the US.

It was like swimming upstream against tsunami.....
It was like drinking beer after 3 shots of tequila....
It was like writing my board exams all over again...
It was driving car in the roads to Chicago!

I have never felt like driving a car in the US for the sheer fear of not knowing the rules. Not knowing the driving always came second! Last time when I was in India, I worked some magic, drove a car and secured a license. And here last weekend, some evil spirit got in to me and made me rent a car. Why I know tht it is an evil spirit? Who else would rent a full size Toyota Camry on his/her debut in the US roads?

With a full size car in my hand and the roads of Chicago in front of me, predictions were in full swing. Some said it could be as devastating as the Great Chicago Fire that ripped through the city while others predicted that it might be a safe bet for Mass Extinction #7. With all these speculations, I drove the car in the downtown... I drove well. At least mortality rate was 0% with none hurt. Surprisingly, the roads in chicago downtown were not that crazy in the weekend. Full marks!

Now comes the major mistake. Having conquered the downtown, I took an unassuming turn that landed me straight up in the fast lane of the Inter-State express way! There stands a jackass with a steering wheel in his hand that controls a full size Camry! It was like giving a dog a sealed can completely filled with its favorite biscuit and handing over a can opener to it. There is definitely the inclination to pull it off but..... HOW? God knows how I drove my way out of the express way!! Phew.

P.S:
1. My driving improved as the day progressed and may be I am ready for another adventure. Watch out... Boston!
2. With the trip to chicago I am now 243 photographs richer! Is there a printing machine in the vicinity?

10 comments:

Arun Sundar said...

U should come drive in NYC. That'll be like 'Banana time in the Monkey cage!" for the yellow cabbies :)

Gayatri said...

lol.. come to madras and drive! then we'll talk about driving skills

Prathees R said...

amam pa ingae iruka MTC, auto, water laaarries ku naduvulae otina thaan othukuvom - Unaku driving theriyum nu

m said...

Everything ok and congrats! but i couldn't get who the 'Jackass' was!

And last time ikku before last time when i was in Chennai, i also worked magic and secured a license without driving a car!

Raz said...

lol :)

Absconding said...

I dare you to drive in Atlanta. We are known for having the most reckless of drivers!!

N.V.Prashanth said...

@ Arun - Been there...seen that! I'll play safe!

@ Gayatri - I drove in Madras... actually its the rules and the speed here thts frightening.. otherwise I am PRO! :P

@ Prathu - Adhukku naduvula bike dhaan otta mudiyum! Any day!

N.V.Prashanth said...

@ Ela - If you want to hear it from me, I wont give you tht satisfaction. Thiruttu License Ozhiga!

@ Raz - Siripaaa sirichi pochu!

@ Absconding - All damn highways and downtown are difficult for me at this stage... why Atlanta alone? BTW I might get on well with equal recklessness.

m said...

Hey...thirruttu license aa? ennudaya sonda license paaa! naan kashta pattu ennoda holiday vaa paln panni classeses eduthu aana ooti kaatama vanginathu!

N.V.Prashanth said...

License obtained with out road test are deemed "thiruttu license"... unfortunately!