Saturday, February 23, 2008

First year of graduation!!

Here is a social awakening topic...

There was this long queue. The scene is at Anna University in Chennai (Madras). It was counselling. You had to go thro counselling to get an admission in to engineering colleges. The first day of counselling and there was this long queue.

I was wondering
...How am I going to go past this queue?
...How long is it going to take?
...How many vacancies would be available when I reach there?

Then came a consoling voice from my friend Manikandan...
"Don't worry machaan... our counselling is not today.. Mine is on 15th day and yours is only on 24th day, one day bfore the final day of this leg".

See that is why you need friends. They reduce your sorrow amazingly with few truthful words. I was relieved. No tension. Now its up to some college to induct me. And one such college was Bharath Institute for Science and Technology. Don't under-estimate the college. I got only payment seat. Ok...do not worry abt that too much. My dad takes care of the finances. When I came out of the counselling, he wasn't there. He was heading to a bank to get my educational loan.

The "D" day. I was going to college. My mom and dad should have been accompanying me since it was the first day. But they weren't coming. "Welcome to the freshers" - screamed the seemingly-friendly banner. There was huge rush. When lots of students came with their parents,there were many more who came there with out parents. I could easily make out. They all must have taken payment seats. It was easy to spot them as they were every where. After all those boring, himalayan speech from correspondent, chairman, his nephew, all those related to him, we were alloted class rooms and I saw an immediate clash in interest there. Every one was fighting for the last bench. Probably, I thought to myself, I am the only person who is ready to sleep from the first few benches. Any ways, college is for serious learning... oh what a misconception?

I would have gone in that terribly wrong direction but for my seniors. They showed us the path. They always did these two things
1. Do not turn up to college
2. Even if they came, they left by 1:30 to 2:00 pm. And they come in only at 10 AM.
And they all passed their courses. Oh the god sends! They showed us what it takes to complete engineering. But year 1 wasn't the time to be doing all those.

And the classes, all of the lecturers were very sincere. All the classes were taken and hence we lost sleep during the nights. You can't be sleeping the whole day. And so that cycle continued... sleep duyring mornings and wide awake during nights. That's when some channels play educational programmes. We used to take notes :D

Ok...what did we do during the breaks? The coffee breaks were the time to play pranks on other 1st years. Go to their classes and pretend to be seniors and rag them before rushing to our classes for the next session of sleeping...errr.. classes. Then lunch time is when it really happens. Seniors swarm the classes with the intent to find good looking girls atleast in their junior classes. But they did not get their prayers right I guess. But they found solace in picking up the best-looking from the lot. Again a lesson for us. Their every step seemed to teach us some thing. Oh the great seniors!!! There was two kind of classes.

1. One with atleast 2 or 3 good looking girls
2. Which doesnot have one to boast

The first category classes will be bustling with activity during lunch times and the guys in that classes are most loved by god. They are out of all the ragging stuff. Not one senior would turn up to the majority section of the class where guys sit. All have their filters set right. Only area visible to them is where the girls sit. Alas! the other category of classes are unprivilaged. The guys there run for their life. All the seniors vent their anger and disappointment on the guys. Hey don't get me wrong. Ragging will be in peak in such classes is what I meant.

I, fortunately, belonged to category 1. So girls saved our class. But we had to do some "allakkai" work like pass on the chocolates to the girls. Yes, these high-end tasks are assigned to us by seniors. Some times, we have to buy them and give it to girls as if the senior bought it. As days rolled on with such great learning and yawning... finally the exams approached.

Guess what?? We all passed. The seniors route seemed to be working. And we all moved to the next year of graduation. We are seniors now. We erected the banner this time for the freshers

"Welcome Freshers"

After all... I too have social responsibility!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

uh-huh.Girls saving you from ragging...tats a good point though.But the chocolate part i thought was slightly different.lol.
Why dont you write more on CSE(2nd,3rd and final years)?

N.V.Prashanth said...

Actually I am going to... I did not want to load everything on to one post! You can say "want of topics". I will say "chronological writing"